As one of Virginia Tech's research investment institutes, ISCE serves the entire university, with its primary constituents being faculty whose research and scholarship focuses on socially significant research and creative efforts. ISCE's four thematic areas of research and scholarship include:
- Global Issues Initiative: global trade and economic integration; global security; public policy; counter-terrorism; public health; science policy
- Human Development and Health: life span issues; aging issues; children, adolescents, adulthood, family, community; child and adult health behavior; social influences on health; public health; health policy
- Risk and Resilience: individual risk; social complexity, ethics; risk analysis; disaster management; social media and communication; technology, security; public policy
- Built Environments: urban formations; rural settings; home environments; policy implementation and evaluation
The Institute for Society, Culture and Environment is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Isabel Bradburn to ISCE Administrative Fellow. Dr. Bradburn brings expertise in social science content (e.g., children and families, early childhood education and interventions, elementary and STEM education and policy, and attachment), research methods (e.g, quantitative methods, interviewing and survey construction, program evaluation and translational science) and proposal development.
As an Administrative Fellow, she will:
- Coordinate ISCE-related special projects and initiatives
- Assist faculty in ISCE-related proposal writing ventures
- Facilitate the development of internal and external collaboration
OBSSR Director Comments on 2017-2021 Strategic Plan
National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research Director William (Bill) Riley recently released commentaries on the office's 2017-2021 Strategic Plan three scientific priorities.
- Priority One: Improve the synergy of basic and applied behavioral and social sciences research
- Priority Two: Enhance and promote the research infrastructure, methods, and measures needed to support a more cumulative and integrated approach to behavioral and social sciences research
- Priority Three: Facilitate the adoption of behavioral and social sciences research findings in health research and in practice.
Policy Strategic Growth Area Announces Planning Grants
Virginia Tech's Policy Strategic Growth Area is now accepting applications for 2017-18 planning grants to foster new policy collaborations and transdisciplinary research. Four grants up to $2,500 will be awarded. Read more.
Middle East Applications Now Open!
The ISCE-GSS Middle East Small Grants (MESG) Program has issued a RFA for seed funding for Middle East-related research within Virginia Tech. Grants ranging from $1,000-$5,000 will be awarded. Read more...
NIH Next Generation Researchers Initiative
NIH has launched the Next Generation Researchers Initiative to bolster support for early-stage and mid-career investigators to address longstanding challenges faced by researchers trying to embark upon and sustain independent research careers.
Jim Hawdon's research on online extremism.